Lovecraft Country is dead set on doing two important things to all that spend time watching: terrify you AND educate you! That’s what it’s all about folks, incredible fear, and incredible history lessons all wrapped up into one bizarre package that no matter how hard you try you just can’t seem to tear yourself away from until the latest episode is over! That’s exactly what happened to me during Episode 3: Holy Ghost. I’m going to tell you about it in mostly spoiler-free fashion. PLEASE bear in mind you must watch the episode as you read along so you can put my reactions in proper context, and laugh your ass off that much more when things happen.
- Why does this episode start off so normal? Like did none of all that violence from the last episode even happen? What the heck is going on here?
- Inheritance? What inheritance? You know damn well your family doesn’t have any inheritance money.
- Ohh. She’s trying to make him jealous huh. And how about Dude asking if he can put his hat in the race. People are something else. All the women in the world and you want to carry on about one that you know is technically in a situationship. Umm-hmm…
- I can’t stand loud honking horns. Like really. You know like when you’re stuck in bad traffic and folk can’t contain themselves so they just start laying on the horn all loud and long. Cut that noise out! You slamming on your horn and making it beeeeeeeeeeeeeeep all long and loud isn’t going to make traffic move.
- Racism is a trip man… No matter what time period you’re in it’s just a damn trip.
- Can’t tell if this is Lovecraft Country or one of Beyonce’s Lemonade videos.
- Oh damn now they’re doing voodoo up in here. Ok… I’m terrified now…
- Jackie Robinson, Emmit Till, and a whole lot of other folks up in here. WOW!
- I’ll say it again; this is the craziest show I’ve ever watched!
- Yea… that firearm ain’t going to save you, under those circumstances, Brother… This lady has a full point.
That’s all I can spare before I spoil something. Just about everything that happened in this episode is taken from history so there is a whole other deep dive that can go on regarding all of the historical references here. That’s really the point though. As scary and horrific as Lovecraft Country can be, real life is just as scary and horrific for many people. That one fact has me all jacked up.
Like damn folk really went through this stuff I’m watching in this show! Goodness! Anyway; please check out Lovecraft Country and feel free to hit me up if you want to go deeper into what we saw. Now if you’ll excuse me I’m going to go turn on all of the lights in the house because I am too cheap to hire a Voodoo specialist to help me exercise whatever ghosts are around. WORD!
E. Duke Bennett is the host of the “Tell Us The Truth” Podcast & the “Duke Loves Rasslin” Podcast. Hit him up on Facebook or Twitter @DukeLovesRasslin & @TellUsTheTruth for more pontification on Great TV, Pro Wrestling, Breaking down Systemic Racism but not about the latest techniques in Ghost Exercising and Voodoo.